Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Let's Talk More Than Just About .....Her




I am sorry it has taken me so long to write my review for this movie. It has been a bit of a chaotic new year so far. I am still not sure how to react by this film. The effect is so profound that I have decided to blog beyond a review.



In regards to the film, a man essentially falls in love with his life like “Siri” app and struggles with that relationship. The film has a very 80's “Elementary School, color palette. It is almost like some kind of strange futuristic world, but we are supposed to believe it is now. It isn't a bad movie, but it felt like I was intruding on someone's private chat conversation. Maybe that was the goal.



Her is a very interesting movie in the sense that it provides a very sad look at what our society is becoming. Loneliness is a vicious creature. We all want to be with someone. Companionship is such a basic human need and yet there are plenty of people who have no one. I had lunch with a former intern who declared that meeting online is the new millennium way of dating. I truly hope not.



You can find sites all over the place and millions of people use them. We sit at our computers, we type, we text, we do anything but have physical conversations. I have never been a fan of online dating. I am a firm believer that we hide who we really are to create illusions of who we want to be. Online, a person can be anyone and we play this ridiculous fantasy role playing game.



There are so many predators out there and yes they exist in all walks of life, but they seem to be more prominent in the digital world.



There are those who argue that feelings are real and they may very well be, but I don't want to date someone I can't touch. People will say that they met online and are still together. To them I say, congratulations! I could dive into the psychological traits of the people who meet online, but it would probably become insulting and that isn't my goal.



I admit that it can be difficult meeting people if you move to a new town and some would say that meeting in bars can be worse. Agreed, but I go back to touch. The comfort of a simple hug, the kiss after a long day, holding hands while crossing a parking lot, and a hundred other examples are such an important part of the deal. The eyes are the window to the soul and can be hidden so well over a web cam or keyboard.



Technology is great, but something has been lost. The face to face conversation. People are free to do what they want, but I say lets be bold. Go out and actually talk to someone. Get to know them over time or make a mistake and find out the hard way. That is innovative. Physically touch them, see for yourself what they like and dislike, learn how they handle situations, and live life beyond the four walls that you live in. Loneliness is brutal, but being afraid to live life is much worse. Fantasy is fun and we all role play, but when it comes to dating.....learn how to unplug.


No comments:

Post a Comment