Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Little More Human....



    I don't have a good reason for a blog beyond the word, "human." It doesn't make much sense, but I've had a lot on my mind for a few weeks now and haven't really had a way to express myself. So here goes. Anyone who knows me knows that I am an observer of people. In the last couple of years, even more so. I made a commitment when I walked away from my job to be a better person. Stop sweating the little things. Smile more. Road rage less. It's work in more ways than one.

   Pressure is a word that most of us know pretty well. I actually like pressure. I see it as a challenge. I have learned to accept challenges. Crave them in most cases. Most of the time, we never stop moving long enough to notice the stuff around us. We all get caught up in our own pressures and challenges. Guilty.
Lots of things are happening in the world. I think we try and ignore it, but sometimes when you actually listen you hear things you might have missed. I think it took a rough week at work for me to learn to listen a little closer. Don't misconstrue, I still love my company, my job, and the people that I am fortunate enough to work with. Not a day goes by that I don't laugh with them. Not a day. I just need to realize that I need to walk before I run. Lord I wish that were easier to do.

  I think we are all in a funk. Maybe it's the weather. I don't know,but I do know that sometimes we let pressure get to us. The Super Bowl came and went and people became angered over a coke commercial. Bad song choice, but the message wasn't bad. Coke was trying to paint America as a place of tolerance. I know what were they thinking? I have never seen so many people throw there opinions out so quickly regardless of error. Some didn't even know the actual National Anthem. Hint. It's not America The Beautiful. People swearing to never drink coke again. OK. It's probably a healthier choice because soft drinks can sure do some damage. Is a coke commercial worth getting angry over? At the end of the day, doubt it.

 CVS has decided to eliminate tobacco products. People are furious. I saw someone ask what the government will do if all the people left the country and they'd be no one left for them to control. CVS not selling tobacco isn't a government mandate. Smell your clothes after being around a smoker. It's a disgusting habit, but it's the choice of the individual. Just like it's CVS choice, as a business, to not sell those products in there stores.

  I have been looking at people when I have been out shopping. You'd be amazed what you can learn by what's in their carts. I look at the total package and at one time probably would have had some kind of nasty comment. The world is so appearance based now and that is disheartening. You don't have to look a certain way to be happy. People forget that happiness is different for everyone. The world attributes success and money as the same thing. It's almost like if you're not rich, you 're not allowed to be happy. How did the world get so off track?

  I was in the 'Nati last week and drove through some places that reminded me of different times. Not better. Just different. I thought of my sister and how we used be friends. I haven't truly known her for years and that does suck, but I am not good at forgiveness. I have tried, but addiction is brutal to the addict and their families. The death of Phillip Seymour Hoffman made take a closer look at this and I have been trying to put it out of sight for too long.

  We live and learn. We make mistakes. The world has become a place that seems to put more pressure on us daily. The world tells us we need to be rich. The world says we need to look and act a certain way, but what does the world show us? The rich need not obey the same laws. Freedom of speech is an excuse to fly off at the mouth about everything. The world has made us all the judges of one another. The world says to fit a mold and live life as fast as you can. I say differently.

  I say that you need to step out of line. Find what makes you happy and do it. If that is climbing a mountain? Go for it. Breaking the speed limit once in a while? Let it rip. Eating a whole pint of ice cream? Dig in! Start noticing the things you missed. Do things because you want to and let some of the pressure go. Appreciate the small things and live life based on YOUR happiness. Not your friend's. Not your family's. Yours. Some times things won't go the way you want. A losing streak might last a while, but it's OK! You will stumble, fall, an almost certainly fail. You need to do them all in order to appreciate the feeling of winning.

  We only get one ride on this train. The world needs to be a better place and it starts with us being allowed to be human. To be different. Tolerate the opinions of others even when we don't agree. Take the time to find laughter in situations and not always anger. Treat people a little better. Stop sweating the small things. Smile a little more, even on the bad days. It's my advice to myself feel free to take it. They say that life is a poem. You don't have to earn millions of dollars or climb mountains to contribute a verse.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment