Sunday, April 1, 2012

Wrath of a Bad Sequel

  Let me start by saying that I was not a hater of the "Clash Of The Titans" remake like so many were. I found the first movie a nice update of the classic. It had horrible 3-D conversion and I wasn't crazy about the cast, but I was entertained. Was I craving a sequel? No. I don't know many who were, but Warner Brothers decided to give us one. The 3-D is better, but the cast and story lack.

 I think this was a risky move for a sequel anyway. Sam Worthington is back as Perseus. Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes return as Zeus and Hades. Hades strikes a deal and teams with Zues' son Aries (Edgar Ramirez) to release Chronos, the most powerful titan, into the world. The gods are dying and their time is coming to an end. Zeus is taken and Poseidon is killed, and hope for mankind is bleak. Perseus must accept his destiny and set off for the underworld to stop this diabolical plot. He teams with another Dem-god. Agenor the son of Poseidon and Andromeda who is now a warrior queen. The only weapon that can stop Chronos is a spear formed from Poseidon's trident, Hades pitchfork, and Zeus' thunderbolt. Perseus is at first reluctant to leave his son, but soon realizes that if he doesn't save the world, his son is doomed anyway.

 What worked? The scenes with the Cyclops were great! The 3-D is much better and the nods to the original are fun. The sword Perseus carries is more like the original than what he used last time out. The mechanical owl also make an appearance. I liked Edgar Ramirez as Aries and the fight scenes with him are well done.



 What didn't work? Many people will think the fight with the Chimera is cool. I felt like I saw it before. First in Transformers and again with scorpions in the first movie. I wasn't a fan of the cast. Neeson,Fiennes, and Nighy seemed to be just going through the motions and I have never been a big Sam Worthington fan. It's a different Andromeda and the supporting cast was not given much to work with. The story was ok, but Chronos just didn't work for me. He was just another giant C.G.I. monster terrorizing the world. The end battle became a visual eye sore and in the end I found myself not caring who won or lost.

 I would say that it was mildly entertaining, but I feel like fantasy movies are at a disadvantage. Lord of the Rings set the bar too high. Unless you can come close , don't even bother.  I would put Wrath of the Titans on the same level as the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment